Education Review Office (ERO)
The Education Review Office | Te Tari Arotake Mātauranga (ERO) is the New Zealand government’s external evaluation agency for schools like ours.
Their impartial and objective monitoring and evaluation is critical to the integrity of the New Zealand education system, so that you can have confidence in the delivery of your child’s education.
So, what did ERO think of Ilam School when they last visited, in 2017?
Diversity / Equity
- The language, culture and identity of children, families and whānau are highly valued and respected.
- This school is very responsive to the individual needs of children and is working well to reduce disparity to provide equitable outcomes for all.
- Trustees, leaders and staff promote a bicultural learning environment that positively benefits Māori and all children.
- At this school leaders and teachers are strongly committed to equity and excellence for all learners.
- The school is well led and the board of trustees is committed to continuous improvement.
- Leaders and teachers take collective responsibility for children’s progress and achievement.
- Leadership actively develops and pursues the school’s vision and goals with a clear focus on continuous improvement and building reflective practices.
- The board actively serves the school. They are committed to building knowledge and skills across the school to provide equity and excellence for all children.
- The school has maintained strong levels of student achievement in the National Standards in reading, writing and mathematics over time.
- The board, leaders and teachers effectively respond to Māori and other children whose learning and achievement need acceleration.
- Students experience positive and supportive transitions to, within and from school.
- Student learning, wellbeing and progress are the core concerns and collective responsibility of the board, leaders and staff.
- There is a strong focus on knowing the child and what they bring to their learning
- Children with additional learning needs are responded to very well. The school identifies the needs of these children early and provides high quality support programmes to accelerate their learning and promote equity and excellence for all.
- The school is highly effective in providing pastoral care, good quality education and ESOL tuition for its international students.
If you’d like to read the full 2017 ERO report, you can request a copy from the school office.